Harmony Senior Drum Corps traces its origins back to St. Mary's Flute and Drum Band, organized August 6, 1886 by a group of young men of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Boonton, New Jersey. They included James Anglum, John Callahan, James Carboy, John T. Carey, Thomas Cooney, Joseph Duffield and John E. Dunn. John T. Carey was Drum Major. Joseph Duffield was the music arranger and taught the fifes; while James Anglum was the drum instructor. To raise funds for flags, uniforms, and musical equipment, the Band held annual receptions and socials in St. Joseph’s Hall, which was located on the corner of Birch and Oak St. Reception tickets, admitting "Gent. And Ladies" cost fifty cents; while tickets to socials were obtainable for thirty five cents.

Perhaps the most memorable parade in which St. Mary’s Flute and Drum Band participated was held on June 23, 1900 for the dedication of the New Jersey State Firemen’s Home on Lathrop Ave in Boonton. Thousands came from all over the state to witness the impressive ceremonies at which Governor Foster M. Voorhees officially accepted the Home for the State of New Jersey, which actually opened in 1898. On June 6, 1998, the Corps was able to repeat the performance, by participating in the 100th Anniversary Parade and Celebration of the Fireman's Home.

Trumpets were added to the Band during World War I. Many of the original members of the Band were members of the Harmony Engine and Hose Company of the Boonton Fire Department and eventually Harmony firemen took over the Band's sponsorship. The name was changed to the Boonton Flute and Drum Band and then to Harmony Fife and Drum Corps when it started practicing in the Harmony Engine House on Boonton Avenue. In the 1930s it became Harmony Fife, Drum and Trumpet Corps and bells were added during the same period. Drum Majors during these years included Hugh McCormick Sr. and Wandell Cox, Sr. Music instructors included Harold McCormick Sr. and Einar Borgstrom Sr. The present designation of Harmony Senior Drum Corps was acquired in 1965 under President Tom Bochinski Sr., Drum Major Edward Reynolds Sr. and music instructors Hugh Campbell, Steve Sova, and Tony Dandrea.

The Drum Corps has participated in several other major events in the history of the Town of Boonton, including the return of the veterans from two World Wars and the Gulf War, the town Centennial of 1976, the U.S.A. Bicentennial in 1976, the passage of the Olympic Torch, and the dedication of the New Jersey Firemen's Home Museum. Now a very successful competition parade corps, the Harmony Senior Drum Corps won its first marching trophy in 1961 at Denville. The Corps has participated on Fifth Avenue in New York City for St. Patrick’s Day, for the Salute to Israel, and for Puerto Rican Day. As a non-profit organization, today Harmony sustains their equipment and uniforms by performing for various fire departments, towns and organizations in the area during their parades and functions. The Corps has traveled throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Connecticut for parades, concerts and competitions.

Other projects have included the production of four musical recordings starting in 1967 and twelve "Harmony in Motion" Drum and Bugle Competitions from 1969-1980. One of the most exciting times in the history of the Corps was when it played at Yankee Stadium during the World Series in 1976. Harmony has appeared on television several times during its pre-game concerts at Yankee Stadium in past years.

In 1986 the Corps celebrated its 100th Anniversary with a Parade, Dinner Dance, and reunion night. Officers Joseph Cosentino, President; Bruce Bogart, Vice President; Kevin Osborne, Secretary; Thomas Bochinski Jr, Treasurer; Ernie Beatty, Executive Secretary. Drum Majors were Edward Reynolds Sr., and George Wendt.

In 1988 due to declining membership, the all-male Corps became a co-ed Corps and is now thriving. Today's Corps includes musicians performing with fifes, bells, trumpets, baritones, drums and cymbals, as well as a color guard.

At present 40 members ranging in age from 8 to 70 march with Harmony in its distinctive black and white West Point style uniforms, which was adopted during the 1930s. Corps members practice every Thursday at 7:00pm at the Boonton Avenue Firehouse. During the parade season the "Street Machine" uses the streets of Boonton for its marching and musical practices.